According to recent emerging data, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease has been suggested to be a predictor of heart disease independent of the metabolic syndrome and traditional cardiovascular risk factors.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the major cause of chronic liver disease.
- NAFLD is the hepatic representation of the metabolic syndrome.
- Ischaemic heart disease (IHD) is the main cause of mortality among patients with NAFLD, and there is a higher prevalence of IHD in patients with NAFLD than in those without the disorder.
- Statin therapy is generally safe in patients with NAFLD.
- GPs have a key role in the diagnosis and management of patients with NAFLD.