Diabetes and heart disease are common conditions sharing many similar risk factors. Patients with both conditions are at high risk of adverse events. A multifaceted approach to management is essential to address the multiple risk factors that are often present in these patients. Early assessment and modification of lifestyle factors and treatment of hypertension, dyslipidaemia and hyperglycaemia to target are important.
- Diabetes and heart disease are common conditions, which often coexist and lead to increased risks of adverse events.
- Tight glycaemic control in people with diabetes reduces microvascular complications.
- The glycaemic target to reduce macrovascular complications in people with diabetes is less well established.
- Lifestyle measures are essential in people with heart disease and diabetes.
- A multifaceted approach targeting multiple risk factors is the key to management.
Picture credit: © NYUL/iStockphoto. Model used for illustrative purposes only.